Thursday, April 8, 2010

I'm a Hot Mess!

I've been having sciatic pain for the last year or so - it's terrible. Shooting pain that gets worse when I have to sit for long periods of time. I don't have the lower back pain that is commonly associated with it either which has been confusing. I would not wish this on my worst enemy, seriously.

So last Fall I did PT with no luck. Then I did it again in the Winter because the pain was getting worse. Still no luck. They tried traction with NO LUCK. So now I have decided I'm going to Chiropractic route. And I was shocked at my first appointment as to what they found in the x-rays...

First she told me I have an extra lumbar vertebrae. It happens but isn't very common. My lumbar vertabrae are also degenerative meaning the "stuff" between them is too thin and it is causing them to be out of alignment. Great. THEN she tells me that I have mild scoliosis. No surprise there as it runs in the family. Thanks Dad! My hips are also out of alignment and crooked. Last of all she asks me how many times I've broken my tailbone? Um... None? I guess it is tilted and looks as if it's been broken. She said I must handle pain pretty well with all these issues and since I've had this going on a year now.

I'm going 3 times a week for 2 weeks to see if I see any improvement. Icing my lower back and the spot where my pain is (right under my butt bone) all night every night which is a pain. But I would do just about anything to feel normal again.

Could my DH and I be any more of a mess? Seriously?

1 comment:

  1. When I read this post the other night....it made me cringe. I am pretty sure I have sciatica now, I sit down all day and I am so afraid that it is going to get SO much worse as I get bigger. I also have a mild scoliosis and are always going to get adjusted for my lower back/hips. I feel your pain girl, literally. I hope you feel better soon!

    ReplyDelete