Thursday, November 18, 2010

Thankful on Thursday

Today (aside from just being thankful that the weekend is almost here!) I am thankful for my new hobby. It's not really a hobby yet since I've only made one thing but I'm hoping now that the weather is cooler I'll have more time to spend at my sewing machine.

MrHoppy understood how lonely and bored I was getting so when I suggested we find a used sewing machine on craigslist he was all for it. It doesn't hurt that my Mom is an amazing seamstress and knows all about them. How am I not already a pro after growing up with a sewing Mom?? I don't know, but I'm not. She was just as excited as I was when we found a practically new Brother machine close to home for less than $100! I snatched it up and immediately and bought all the things I would need to go with it for little projects.

And then it just sat there... and sat there... and I was busy...

Really I just needed help getting started. I had a pattern all cut out but didn't know where or how to start. So my awesome seamstress of a Mother came over and we made this little bag:

Isn't it cute? And it didn't cost me anything. She had lots of scrap fabric leftover from other projects and she let me have all of it. It's even lined in a cute yellow material. 

I quickly decided it was the perfect bag to store one of my other Winter hobbies...

Knitting! I started this scarf early this year and didn't finish it. I just don't knit when the weather is warm. So I'm going to be finishing it up and I think it will be a Christmas gift for someone. And I have to admit - the only thing I knit is scarves. One of the things I enjoy most about knitting is that I can do it while I watch TV, or zone out, or if I have a few down minutes at work. Making something more detailed would take way more concentration which kind of defeats the purpose for me. So for now, I'm happy just knitting scarves. :)
And I have pictures of the lining in my bag and the scarf I'm working on that won't download right now! Frustrating... What's up blogger?

2 comments:

  1. Super cute! I love it. What pattern did you use? I have found that with this break, I am enjoying going back to sewing, crocheting and all the other crafts I like to do. My craft room is almost ready to start getting put together - I'm so excited!

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOVE the bag.... adorable. You could sell those on etsy! haha =)

    ReplyDelete