Thursday, April 14, 2011

A Look Inside

Good morning! A couple weeks ago my darling MrHoppy took a big trip to the grocery store to fill our refrigerator with healthy items. He does the grocery shopping most of the time and I have a love/hate relationship with this set-up. I love it because he stays on budget and gets everything on the list I give him. I hate it because I myself love to grocery shop! Yes, I'm crazy. I love going up and down the aisles, reading labels, loading my purchases in the cart and organizing everything when I get home. I'm weird like that.

I have mentioned before that I have been reading blogs and doing research on clean and healthy eating. I wanted a few new items to try out some ideas I had. Not only did he get everything we needed but he also did some organizing to make my life easier.

Exhibit A: The Freezer


Ignore the Patron on the left side of the freezer. :) If you look just right of that in the individual tupperware containers you will see cut up chicken breasts. Some plain, some marinated. At the beginning of every week we cut up 2 chicken breasts and bake them for easy and protein packed meals. I had been thawing the breasts out and cutting them up each week. MrHoppy took care of that part all in one afternoon! Now all we have to do is pull out the container, let them thaw, slap them on the baking sheet and cook for 20 minutes. Easy and healthy eating made simple. You will also see brussels sprouts back there, a large container of homemade green chili (yummy!), ground turkey and ice cream. Which I avoid of course...

Exhibit B: The Refrigerator


In the bowl you will see another easy, healthy and fast protein. Hardboiled eggs. We try to keep them on hand for breakfast or to whip up low-fat egg salad sandwhiches. The Stonyfield organic yogurt and almond milk go into our new breakfast of choice. Overnight Oats. See where I read up on these bad boys Here. We add frozen fruit, bananas, peanut butter and MrHoppy puts maple syrup in his. Delicious! You'll also see low fat cottage cheese, 2% Fage greek yogurt, and of course my Orange Juice. I have a new love affair with OJ and the Trop 50 is actually pretty good!

What you don't see is the bowl of fresh fruit that sits on the counter. Or the drawer full of vegetables that we keep on hand. I have to have healthy options easily available to keep eating healthy. If I make it easy for myself I won't stray.

I have also started shopping at our local Sunflower Market (check them out Here )on Wednesdays when they do "double ad" sale days. The previous week and next week of sales overlap and I get some great deals. It takes preperation, list making and deciding what to buy and where, but I think it's helping with the grocery budget. I got 3 bags of fresh and organic food yesterday for just $19!

What does your refrigerator look like?

1 comment:

  1. Empty. I have been doing a really good job of buying all my food on Sunday and premaking all of my meals for the week. Not so much this week. I spent the WHOLE day outside working on my house on Sunday and got none of my indoor stuff done. To top that off I haven't been home in the evening yet this week. Oh well...here's to next week....

    I love the chicken breast idea. I think I'm going to do that this weekend! That way even when I have crazy busy weekends like last weekend I can still take 20 minutes to prep some meals for the week. Thanks for the tip!

    ReplyDelete