Thursday, April 28, 2011

My New Favorite Dinner

Happy Thursday! I usually talk about diet and healthy eating on Fridays but thought I would include a post about a dinner we had recently that I loved!

Elk tacos. Yes, we eat elk. And we drink beer as you can see in the background. We are in the micro-brew capital of the nation. Of course we Colorado folks LOVE our beer. :)

Details on this delicious-ness are below...





A little sidenote... MrHoppy was born and raised in the mountains of Colorado so hunting has been part of his life for many, many years. I am not going to pretend to like it but I'm not against it either. I am OK with hunting as long as the meat is eaten and as much as the animal is used as possible. Just don't be thinking that I join in or have any part in it. I do, however, eat the meat. Our freezer is full of elk meat from last Fall so we try to use it instead of buying beef at the store.

Elk meat is super lean. As far as red meat goes, it's pretty good for you. It's wild, grass "fed" and about as natural as you can get. The taste is a little "gamey" for me so we usually include it in dishes with seasonings and sauces.

In this meal MrHoppy marinated 2 elk steaks for a couple days. I'm not 100% sure what all he used but I believe it was a concoction of Italian dressing, red pepper, Srichacha, and some other seasonings and spices.

He put the meat on the grill and when it was cooked through we diced it up into tiny pieces. While he grilled the meat I steamed corn tortillas, diced up tomatos and made guacamole (just avacado, garlic, onion, tomato and Srichacha). We put the meat on the tortillas, added tomato, spinach, sour cream and guac. The meat was spicy and had great flavor. I love adding lots of veggies to my tacos.

So what do you think? Does this look and sound good? It could be done just as easily with lean beef steaks. It's pretty "clean", low in fat and you are getting protein and vegetables with your dinner.

No comments:

Post a Comment