Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Here's the Food Plan, Stan

So I thought it would be helpful for me (and anyone looking for a routine) to post all about what I eat and what I do at the gym. I'm going to break it into 2 posts so it's not a super long one.

I'm thinking I might start posting stats here too. I want to easily see my progress and this seems like as good a place as any, right? I'm not sure WHAT stats I'll post though. Measurements (I haven't taken these in years)? Mile times (that would be easy if I do a "test" run every 2 weeks/month)? Weights lifted (might get monotonous with all the numbers and reps)? My only concern about posting weight is that I'm pretty sure I'm not going to actually lose pounds right now. I think I'm going to tone up and either gain a few (of muscle) or stay the same. I'd like to lose while toning but we'll just have to see...

And I think I'll do a post dedicated to my progress every 2 weeks? That seems like enough time between  to assess my progress and think about any tweaks to routine that need to be made? And I would like to include pictures with each update. I think pictures make it so much easier to see progress...

OK, on with it already MrsHoppy!

Eating and Nutrition: I try to eat whole and natural foods as much as possible. Does that mean I never eat out or take the easy route and heat up a frozen meal for lunch? No, I'm far from perfect - this is just a guideline that I try my best to follow.

Reading Labels: Read the labels of everything you eat/buy. I look for products with minimal ingredients as these tend to be the most natural. Bread is hard but you can find bread that doesn't have a bunch of preservatives and hydrogenated oils. If it has a bunch of ingredients you can't pronounce or haven't heard of don't buy it!
- Breakfast (NEVER SKIP THIS MEAL, NO MATTER WHAT!):
   -egg white scramble:2 whites, diced onion, peppers & ham, diced small corn tortilla with fresh tomato and
     sriracha hot sauce on top. All scrambled up together!
   -egg white sandwich: ww english muffin with 2 scrambled egg whites on it and a slice of reduced fat cheese
   -oatmeal
   -hardboiled egg
   -and I always have a cup of coffee with fat free milk

- Lunch: on Sundays I bake a bunch of chicken for meals for the week, so it's much easier to grab and go.
   -1/2 a chicken breast (I make it different each week, sometimes breaded with Panko or garlic herb
     breadcrumbs) and a green vegetable. Broccoli, sweet baby broccoli or green beans are my favorite
   -1/2 a sandwich with reduced sodium lunch meat and lots of veggies. Spinach, tomato, onion, peppers
     add 1/2 a cup of cottage cheese for a meal
   -1/2 a sandwich with organic peanut butter. Always whole wheat bread.
   -I usually add a fruit to lunch too. Berries or an apple usually
   -Lean Cuisine - I always choose one with at least 1 serving of vegetables

- Snacks: (usually one in the morning and one mid-afternoon)
   -a handfull of pretzels
   -100 calorie popcorn
   -1/2 a mojo bar these are delicious!
   -raw carrots or broccoli with low fat dressing

-Dinner: Similar to lunches but we get more creative so here are a few examples
   -baked chicken parmesean with whole wheat pasta and a vegetable
   -slow cooked shredded pork tenderloin on corn tortillas with lots of vegetables
   -salmon marinated in low sodium soy sauce and a little bit of brown sugar served with a vegetable
   -lean ground beef tacos: easy on the meat, loads of lettuce, tomato, onion and reduced fat sour cream
   -Morning Star spicy black bean burger with vegetables on top and homemade sweet potato fries

-Water!: Make sure you are drinking a minimum of 64oz of water everyday. Did you know that thirst mimicks hunger? So when you are feeling hungry during the day your body may just be thirsty! It will help you feel full and also gives you something to do throughout the day.

And you know what else? It's actually cheaper to eat this way. Honest. You aren't buying a bunch of expensive packaged foods. Chips, crackers, cereal - this stuff is expensive! And frozen produce is usually even cheaper than fresh produce. I always buy fresh (just because I prefer it) but frozen is just fine.

The key is to eat balanced meals. Make sure at every meal you have a protien, a healthy whole carbohydrate and a vegetable. Eat sensible. Only eat when you are hungry. And drink WATER.

This is just what I do. Everyone is different and different things work for different people. But it's a pretty easy plan that never leaves you feeling hungry. And I'm always satisfied. Food is fuel for our bodies so that's how I try to think of everything I eat. And I do much better during the week - husbands and weekends seem to mess with my eating! Practice moderation, I wouldn't be happy if I couldn't enjoy pizza or nachos in small portions!

My next post will be all about exercise so that I can track my weekly plans!

No comments:

Post a Comment