Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Thirty Schmirty

30 is fine, whatever. It's the sudden difficulty to maintain my weight that is driving me insane. It's like someone flipped a switch the day I turned 30 that made it twice as hard. The last few years I could pretty much eat right during the week, work out normally, eat what I want on weekends, have beers and not pay the price. Not the case anymore. My splurges on the weekends (which aren't that much anyway!) have given me an extra 3 pounds that just won't budge. 3 pounds you say? Why is that a big deal? Well I'm not a very big person so 3 pounds is uncomfortable. It makes me feel bloated and my pants just the tiniest bit snug which I don't like.

Here is a typical weekday: keep in mind we try to eat "clean". Meaning no trans fats, no added unnatural ingredients and just whole foods. Fruits and vegetables, protiens and we stay away from processed foods. It's actually pretty easy to do:

Breakfast: a slice of whole wheat toast and a hard boiled egg. Sometimes I replace those with a protien shake (milk, ice, protien powder and 1/2 a banana)

Lunch: 1/2 a sandwich of some sort, 1/2 cup of cottage cheese and a raw vegetable or piece of fruit - yes, I actually measure out my food.

Snack: Usually a berry (strawberries or raspberries) and a raw vegetable of some sort. Sometimes 1/4 cup of nuts for a healthy fat (again, measured out)

Dinner: a protien and vegetable usually. Sometimes a starch such as a sweet potato or corn tortilla

Pretty healthy right?

Weekends usually consist of a normal healthy breakfast but lately on game days we're making sliders or dips or crackers and cheese. I'm pretty good at portion control but I guess my body hates these "splurge" foods now that I'm 30. Twenty year olds have all the fun.

I work out quite a bit too. 5 days a week. Cardio, abs and weights. I do cardio 5 days a week (running specifically) and lift about 3 of those days also. 3 mile minimums and I incorporate interval training to burn fat.

I guess it's time to be more strict on the weekends. I like being in control of something in my life and the way I eat and exercise is one of the ONLY things I can control! I feel better when I'm doing these things and though I'm still doing them - I can do better. I want to do better. My husband thinks I'm crazy and that I should just be happy with the way I am. And don't get me wrong, I am happy. I know I look pretty good. This is more about being in good shape and doing good things for my body. I worked hard to get to this place and I'm not letting it go!

No comments:

Post a Comment